Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ask a Writer Day


I put out a call on Twitter and Facebook for questions--anything you'd like to know about my books, writing or opinions, and I'd answer... or pretend I know the answer.  

From @JadeZupancic on Twitter: 

Q: What is the most difficult part of a book to write for you?
A: Chapter 3. 
No, really. There’s something about Chapter 3 that just stops me every time. I rewrite it five ways. I sit and stare at it on the Great Whiteboard of Plotting. I don’t bang my head on the desk too much, because I know I’ve got the rest of the book to worry about. But still. Stupid Chapter 3. 
There are other places I stall out every time, too. Like page 287.  Somewhere around there I’ll start with the rewriting and the staring and the head banging, and then I’ll look at the page count and go, “Oh, well, of course. It’s page 287.” 
It might be because I always know the opening of a book, and I usually know the ending, or at least the who, what and where of the ending. The parts I have the hardest time writing are the transitions. 
Sometimes I just skip ahead to Chapter 4. 
From Brandy Jones on Facebook: 
Q: Are you working on more books of the Maggie Quinn or Texas Gothic type. 
A: Thanks for asking!  Yes.  My next project should make fans of both happy. (And if you don’t know who Maggie Quinn is, you have a chance to catch up with BRIMSTONE, which comes out in September.) 
Watch this space for more info soon. 
From @karinacooper on Twitter:
Q: You’re stranded on a desert island with a romance hero. Who would it be and why? 
A: I can tell you who it would not be. A vampire. 
It’s hard for me to name anyone specific. Fortunately I always go for the strong, capable type. I guess I’d want an adventurer, with good survival in the wild skills. But mostly, I’m too worried about sand, snakes and sunburn to feel very romantic. 
Q: (part B) And when you aren't knocking boots like wild desert island monkeys, what are your "trapped on a desert island" reads?
A: Monkeys are creepy and I mentioned my aversion to sand and heat, right?  
However, I get the gist. Desert Island reads.  Hmmmm... All of Madeline L’Engle’s books. Susan Cooper’s Dark is Rising series. All of Barbara Michaels books and the complete works of Agatha Christie. Those are things I can read over and over. (That I can think of off hand.) 
From Melissa Meredith on Facebook: 
Q: Why is the second installment in a trilogy always the best?
A: I have no idea. Maybe because you’re done with the set up, everyone knows where they are, so there’s lots of rollicking adventure before the Big Terrible Stuff happens in the last book? 
From Casey Anthony on Facebook: 
Q: Because of the interview you did I am now really really really curious as to what D&D Lisa's last name is! :)
A: (She’s talking about this interview on http://writingya.blogspot.com/2012/06/summer-blog-blast-tour-2012-rosemary.html?m=1Finding Wonderland.) 
And yeah, I’m curious, too. ;-)
Got a question? Ask it in the comments! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for answering my question! Can't wait to see what's coming up!

    ReplyDelete