Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bookanistas: Jinx by Meg Cabot

Want to talk books in real time? I'm doing a live chat tonight (Thursday, June 23) at 9 pm ET/ 8 pm CT at The Knight Agency website. Click here to go directly to the chat room. Enter any combo of user name and password. 


Now, on to Jinx by Meg Cabot!

What the back cover says: 
Jean Honeychurch hates her boring name (not Jean Marie, or Jeanette, just . . . Jean). What's worse? Her all-too-appropriate nickname, Jinx. Misfortune seems to follow her everywhere she goes even to New York City, where Jinx has moved to get away from the huge mess she caused in her small hometown. Her aunt and uncle welcome her to their Manhattan town house, but her beautiful cousin Tory isn't so thrilled. . . .

In fact, Tory is hiding a dangerous secret one that could put them all in danger. Soon Jinx realizes it isn't just bad luck she's been running from . . . and that the curse she has lived under since the day she was born may be the only thing that can save her life.
What I say: 
This is a delightful book that has been on my shelf for a long time. Maybe not since it came out but... well, a while. I grabbed it to have something to read while my car was being inspected, and as often happens when I pick up a Cabot book, I spent the afternoon reading “one more page.” (I did come home from the garage first, though.) 
Cabot’s narrative voice sparkles, and her characters are effortlessly realized. Her dialog is always right on the mark. I love how the story and characters evolve through dialog, without sacrificing the zippiness.  I love The Guy in particular. He was just the right contrast to Jean, the narrator and heroine, who’s nickname is Jinx for reasons that are pretty obvious from the jump. Or are they?
Jean, of course, discovers there’s more to the story, and she has to make peace with herself and her specialness (it is, after all paranormal book) as well as solve the problem of her cousin, who has embraced her specialness a little too fervently. 
Unlike Cabot’s more recent books, like Abandon, which I talked about not long ago, this one is considerably lighter in tone and the plot is simpler as well. It suits a standalone book, and didn’t diminish my enjoyment of it. 
It’s a lighter read, like a tasty sorbet, and perfect for a lazy summer afternoon. 


What else are the Bookanista's reading this week?  Click below to find out!




Elana Johnson adores Hourglass
Beth Revis has cover love for Incarnate
Shana Silver swoons over Supernaturally
Rosemary Clement-Moore jumps for Jinx
Stasia Ward Kehoe praises Possession
Gretchen McNeil is giddy about Moonglass
Sarah Frances Hardy brags about The Grandma Book

2 comments:

  1. Have you read "Nicola and the Viscount"? that's possibly my favorite of her lighter books (Ok, so they're all pretty easy to read, but you know what I mean)

    On a side note, I'm super pumped about her Insatiable series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, a light, easy read isn't a bad thing at all. I have NOT read Nicola and the Viscount, but I am going to pick it up and save it for the day when I need exactly that kind of book to put me in a good mood.

    Meg's books ALWAYS put me in a good mood. I have the first Insatiable, but haven't read it yet.

    Have you read Michelle Jaffe's Bad Kitty? It is so flipping funny--I mention it because it's ANOTHER book that always puts me in a good mood.

    ReplyDelete