Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bookanistas: Bad Taste in Boys

Bad Taste in Boys
By Carrie Harris
From Delecorte Press, July 12 (The same day as Texas Gothic)
The Back Cover says: Super-smartie Kate Grable gets to play doctor, helping out her high school football team. Not only will the experience look good on her college apps, she gets to be this close to her quarterback crush, Aaron. Then something disturbing happens. Kate finds out that the coach has given the team steroids. Except . . . the vials she finds don’t exactly contain steroids. Whatever’s in them is turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless, flesh-eating . . . zombies.
Unless she finds an antidote, no one is safe. Not Aaron, not Kate’s brother, not her best friend . . . not even Kate . . .
It’s scary. It’s twisted. It’s sick. It’s high school.
What I say: I shouldn’t have even LIKED this book.  
I hate zombies. 
I find them both silly and terrifying, which is a weird combination, I know. It’s terrifying because... contagion and cannibalism. It’s silly because... the walking dead. 
So why did I love BAD TASTE IN BOYS so much? Because Carrie Harris tells a great story. 
I love the narrator, Kate, and her voice. She’s delightfully nerdy, terrifically funny, smart, resourceful, and altogether likable.
Harris makes the zombie thing work. And when I say this book is really funny, I don’t mean to say it’s silly. I think the reason both the premise and the humor work so well is that it strikes the right balance of taking the zombie thing seriously without taking itself too seriously.
The story and the storytelling drew me in so well that I stayed on the treadmill for a whole extra mile, because I didn’t want to stop reading. My thighs were NOT happy this morning. 
But I was, because this was a terrific read. Fast, fun and frightening. If you like Prom Dates from Hell, you’ll probably really enjoy BAD TASTE IN BOYS.
And while you're waiting anxiously for July 12th, check out what the other Bookanistas are talking about this week:
Beth Revis interviews Hourglass author Myra McEntire – with giveaway
Shannon Messenger croons over Uncommon Criminals – with giveaway
Myra McEntire invites Possession author Elana Johnson into the Fort
Shana Silver gushes about Bloodlines – with arc giveaway
Jen Hayley is mesmerized by Imaginary Girls
Stasia Ward Kehoe is stunned by Girl, Stolen

5 comments:

  1. I tend to have the exact same reaction to zombies. I guess I'll have to check this one out and see if I change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this one sounds fabulous, and Kate seems like a great character as well. I'll have to give it a try once it's released.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to this one for Carrie's brilliant humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tee hee. I don't like zombies either, but I've found a few books I like. And I believe I'll be picking this one up too! :)

    P.S. You might like Married with Zombies by Jesse Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this was definitely one were the main character won me over. (Though I'm not a convert on the zombie thing.)

    ReplyDelete