- My allergies have given me the wet wheeze of an overbred pug.
- Kids in my neighborhood are out playing on their yard forts.
- The subdivision pool was getting serviced the other day.
- The donations at Goodwill are piled up like Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Yesterday I got the wild hair that I wanted to rearrange my office furniture. Forget that this is a herculean task, given my overstuffed bookshelf and the geologic strata of clutter on my desk. I was going to do and I was going to start Right Now.
First order of business, move my sofa. One the plus side, I found:
- two art museum posters I don’t even remember buying
- a bag of 14 signed books (ditto)
- three pieces of posterboard, now permanently curled
- one box each of file folders, fancy business stationary, address labels and sheet protectors
- five years worth of Christmas cards I bought but didn’t send
- the pieces for the keyboard drawer for my desk
- some ugly curtains I put up and then hated
- six desiccated june bug corpses.
The problem with having a clear out (a phrase I picked up from BBC America) is that things have to get worse before they get better:
At this point, I’m thinking about leaving the door open and hoping the hoodlums across the street with their pants around their knees will come in and steal everything. Only I know they’ll only take my stereo and leave all the crap.
Here’s the refrain that gets me in trouble:
But I might still need it!
I swear I’m going to read that soon.
But someone gave that to me! It doesn’t matter if I don’t remember who.
But I can’t recycle that and I hate to put it in the landfill...
I was extremely proud of myself for whittling my lip gloss collection by half.
This is the half I kept. (I may have a slight addiction.)
Here’s one thing I know I don’t need:
But how can I get rid of THIS find?
Look at my desk! This will last for five minutes.
By bedtime, at least I could see the floor again.
What about you guys? Does spring give you the urge to out with the old? Are you piling up bags for the Salvation Army? Do you know anyone who wants an Apple bluetooth mouse or an old style Apple USB keyboard (pre-chicklet style)?