Monday, January 17, 2011

Princess Lizzie

This is a hard post to write. Some of you who have been following the blog might know, my dog Lizzie has been sick for quite some time. It’s been a roller coaster, with chronic sinusitis, then expensive tests, then dire predictions, then a little hope that she’ll at least be comfortable, with good days and bad days. I could deal with a snuffly dog, as long as she wasn’t suffering.

Last week, it was clear she was getting worse, and her good days had dwindled to good hours, to good minutes. It was so hard, but I wanted to say goodbye to her before she was in horrible pain all the time. It’s something that, as her person, I could give to her, since we couldn’t make her better.

Lizzie was only four. In a few weeks, I’d have had her four years exactly. From puppyhood, she was with me all the time, curled up in my lap when I worked, traveling with me to booksignings, coffee shops, Christmastime with the family. She was a very special dog, and we had the sort of person/dog bond that people write about in books. (In fact, I did. Lizzie is the basis for Gigi in The Splendor Falls.)

I’m a mess, but I know those of you with pets (and even without them) understand why I haven’t been blogging much. I’ll be getting back into a routine, though, and the bright side is that my Lizziebelle is at peace with my Dad and my pet family that has gone before her. They’re probably swapping stories about what a nut I am to live with, but at least I’ve always loved my pack.

Here are some pictures of Lizzie. I hope you don’t mind my sharing them.

Baby pictures!

DSCN0848-2011-01-17-09-58.JPG


Her favorite toy.​

DSCN0901-2011-01-17-09-58.JPG

On the road. (She has beautiful feathers by now.)

IMG_0193-2011-01-17-09-58.JPG


See? (This was my spot at the cabin we rented.)

DSCN1079-2011-01-17-09-58.JPG


Lizzie and me.

DSCN1095-2011-01-17-09-58.JPG

Thanks for letting me share. Back to normal life soon.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Lizzie, but she will be waiting for you on the other side of Rainbow Bridge.

    *hugs*
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry. You did a brave, heart breaking thing for her. I had to make the same decision for my 12 year-old Aussie this summer. Sometimes being an adult just sucks.

    Wishes for peace and comfort for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's absolutely beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    Lots of hugs,

    Aliya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about Princess Lizzie - she sounds like she was a wonderful friend. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ALL so much. She was, indeed, a wonderful dog.

    And Dawn--I'm so sorry about your Aussie. Making the tough decision really is the loving thing we do for them. They give us joy, and we give them peace after we can't give them anything else.

    Okay, now I've made myself cry AGAIN. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss. About five years ago we lost our dog and our cat within three weeks of each other. I don't know if it was harder on me or the kids. But, I do believe there is a special place in heaven for our wonderful pets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about Lizzie. She was such a cutie and you are right, they are probably telling jokes about you right now..

    ~Steph
    http://fortheluvofsanity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. *mega hugs* Rosemary.

    I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete