Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Non-year resolutions

It's that time of year again. The TV is full of lose weight/stop smoking ads. The blogs are full of New Years Resolutions.

The new year is, of course, a natural time to start fresh. But sadly, I find myself trying to start over much more often. Like, every month. Sometimes every week! This month I'm going to exercise more, whine less, get out of the house at least twice a week... Heck, get dressed in real clothes more than once a week.

I have a lot I need to resolve this year. Unfortunately the number one thing I would change about 2011 ("Less family health stress") is something over which I have no control. Yes, I'd love for everyone at Chez Clement-Moore to be healthy and happy in 2011, but unfortunately my omnipotence is on the fritz.

When so much of your life (by which I mean my life) is out of your control, I've discovered (but have not mastered) that when it comes to resolutions, it's not so much about changing the externals as how you respond to them.

So here are a few of my resolutions for 2011.

  1. Exercise more.
  2. Whine less.

And also:

  1. Smile more.
  2. Get out of the house to do one non-obligatory thing a week, even if it's just take the dogs for a walk. Runs to Starbucks and Chipotle don't count.
  3. Get dressed in real clothes more than twice a week. "Real Clothes" constitutes something that does not involve a drawstring and may actually involve buttons and zippers. These do not count.
  4. Send thank you notes. More importantly, be the type of person who sends thank you notes. (Birthday cards are beyond me, I think. I can't even get Christmas cards out.)
  5. Answer fan mail promptly, so I don't lose letters and then find them an embarrassing amount of time later.
  6. Go to mass more often, so I remember what's really important.
  7. Give money or time to charity, so I remember what's really important, and how lucky I am.
  8. Believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

What about you guys?

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning. I like your post a lot today. My husband and I were just talking last night about things that are outside of our control and I think you are right in that focusing on how you respond to them can be a big help in how they affect you. Hope this year treats you well! XO - Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back at you, Amber. It's so easy to wish things were better when all we can do is try to be better about how we respond. All the best to you and your family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super thoughts, RCM! I'm not so sure about big resolutions for this year, and that's a new step for me -- the life coach!!!

    What I want to look at is important daily resolutions. Each day is unique and will unfold in its own way, so I think the resolutions need to reflect that.

    Today, I'm resolved to be positive and find joy despite what my current circumstances might be.

    AOE,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, so I wasn't the only one that noticed the Pajama Jean invasion? The commercial popped up like 10 times a day during the holidays. I guess it isn't any worse then jeggings... I'm scared of what they will think of next!

    Anyways, I love your list,and I totally agree. Resolutions must be made every week sometimes, or even every day, LOL. I found a nice quote that I'm using as my "motto" for 2011 -- "A year from now, you'll wish you started today." I'm hoping that does the trick. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your point about changing how one reacts to externals rather than trying o change externals that are outside your control

    My resolution is to write every day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new-look website, Rosemary! The dogs are so kewt.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete