Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day Two: ECWC in Bellevue, WA

Emerald Coast Writer’s Conference was lovely. Many great workshops, lots of great writers. I’m amazed by how many writers there are in the Seattle area, though I suppose I shouldn’t be. If you have a job where you could live anywhere, why wouldn’t you want to live somewhere as beautiful as the pacific northwest?

The view from our hotel room:

DSCN1542-2010-10-13-08-24.JPG

Paranormal romance author Alyssa Day earned a place in my heart forever by quoting Dr. Lazarus from Galaxy Quest in her Keynote speech on Friday night, about how your mantra as a writer, no matter what stage you’re in, should always be: Never give up, never surrender.

My workshop with Caridad Ferrer and Tera Lynn Childs went very well (as far as I could tell, since no one walked out). The title was: On the Threshold: Three RITA winning YA authors tell all.
Then I was free to enjoy the rest of the conference, which I did, meeting some awesome authors for the first time, or the first time in person, or the first time in a year or more.

THEN I won a basket full of True Blood stuff, including a crew t-shirt and a way cool messenger bag with MORE POCKETS than you can POSSIBLY IMAGINE!!!

IMG_0200-2010-10-13-08-24.JPG


The basket was donated by Deborah Schneider, who’s cousin (I think?) works for the show. (Deb is a librarian as well as writer of rockin’ western romances. Two kinds of awesome.) Thank you, Deborah!

Tera had to listen to me geek out in the room... not about True Blood, though there is that, but about the pockets in the messenger bag. Seriously! SO MANY POCKETS! I used it on the way home. Here it is on the train:

DSCN1618-2010-10-13-08-24.JPGDSCN1618_2-2010-10-13-08-24.JPG

But I’m getting head of myself. I haven’t told you about Port Angeles yet, which was one highlight of my trip, so I’ll save it for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment