Friday, October 15, 2010

Day Three: Ferry over Puget Sound to Port Angeles

(Note: I’m posting some of these as I originally wrote them, since I really WAS planning to post as I went.)


I’m at Zeitgeist Coffee grabbing a cup of coffee and a snack (and some WiFi) before boarding the train to Chicago. Had a great conference over the weekend (though that doesn’t necessarily leave me with a lot to blog about, travel-wise, since I’m busy with conferencing).

Sunday I rented a car and drove out to Port Angeles to see Gwen Hayes, who added to her awesome by being a fabulous hostess. (I already knew she was a fabulous author. Her marvelous YA paranormal romance comes out next year.)

Why does renting a car always give me a successful Grown Up glow? Seriously! I feel like I’m a kid playing dress up for some reason. Maybe because it’s, like, the last thing you have to wait to be old enough to do. Until Social Security, anyway.

So I climbed into my cute little red Toyota and drove to Edmonds, and the ferry. Here was something else that gave me a glow of accomplishment. Drove onto the ferry, did not freak out or anything. I thought being on the top layer of cars would be bad, but it was actually better, because the sides are open. And of course I vacated the car as soon as possible, and went up to the passenger area where the lifeboats and stuff are.

Here’s a picture of Puget Sound on the way over. It looks very gray because it was. The blue would sort of tease for a moment, then go away.

DSCN1548-2010-10-15-08-00.JPG

This is taken from Port Gamble, a historic little village. Until 1995, it was the oldest continuously operating saw mill in North America. I think I may move there, a whole lot of books from now.

DSCN1555-2010-10-15-08-00.JPG


And here is the town of Port Gamble, the General Store on the left. (Some of my pictures seem to have been eaten (!!) by my camera! A bunch of them would not load onto the computer. *pout*)

DSCN1556-2010-10-15-08-00.JPG

Then I was stopped by the raising of the drawbridge over the Fort Hood Canal. Fortunately, I did not that this was a floating bridge until after the fact.

DSCN1562-2010-10-15-08-00.JPG

I really hope that ambulance wasn’t in a hurry to get somewhere. Here is the view that awaited me:

DSCN1601-2010-10-15-08-00.JPG

Next, Port Angeles! (The joke all weekend was that I was going to shop for a prom dress. Which OMG! That picture is SO not the dress from the movie. I guarantee Bella did not buy that dress in Port A. No offense.)

DSCN1567-2010-10-15-08-00.JPG

Downtown Port A. I loved this town an amazing amount. It reminded very slightly of Rockport, Texas, except completely different. Maybe remote coastal towns are a little the same all over.

Dang I have a lot of pictures from there. You’d think I was in love with the Olympic Peninsula or something. I’ll continue Sunday in another post. (Look for it on Monday, since I don’t usually blog on weekends.)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Looks a little desolate, but I've always pictured that the perfect place to write-no interruptions especially to write paranormal stuff.

    Heather Rosdol

    Buried in Books

    ReplyDelete