Monday, August 17, 2009

Vampires, Gray's Anatomy, and the end of civilization as we know it.

Exciting times at Chez Clement-Moore:

1) Armadillo Con was great. Managed to stick my foot in my mouth only a couple of times. (On that subject, see below.)

2) The Splendor Falls comes out in three weeks (!!!) and I hope you have the date (September 8th) marked on your calendars. (And for you all in the DFW area, September 12th is the book release party at the Barnes and Noble near North East Mall in Hurst.)

3) And of course, I'm trying to housebreak a puppy. (Because Penny, now nicknamed Penelope Pitstop for rather unfortunate reasons, is definitely still a puppy. I need to remind myself that ALL my dogs were pains in the butt as puppies. At least dogs grow up faster than children.)

Point of Clarificiation:

Believe it or not, I was laying in bed thinking of this last night. I have to correct something from the Young Adult Books panel at Armadillo Con yesterday. While I have joked in the past, "I don't do vampires," I don't hate vampires or vampire books on principle. I'm personally at the point where I look for something different--but there are plenty of vamp books I love.

My favorite vampire books include: Sunshine, by Robin McKinley, the Vampire Academy novels, by Richelle Mead, and The Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine. Also popular but I haven't read it yet, is Red Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells, and the books by P.C. and Kristen Cast. For lightweight vamp fare, check out Vamped, by Lucienne Diver and Bite Me! by Melissa Francis.

There. I feel a little better. Vampire books got a really bad rap on that panel, and I need to correct that karmic imbalance a bit.

Oh, I also sort of slammed Grey's Anatomy, lumping it in with lowest common denominator television. I don't know what I was thinking--that was a brain fart. The program doesn't do it for me personally (neither does House or Lost), but there has been some great writing and acting on that show. While they don't make my list, they are leagues above things like The Bachelor (and it's clones) which I consider evidience of the break down of society. (I don't now how I mixed up GA and The Bachelor, except that both seem to be about attractive women basing their self worth on the approval of McHotties. But in GA they wise up eventually, at least long enough to save someone's life now and then...)

Er... I kind of undid my restitution on that one. But oh well.

I will atone with a scene from The Splendor Falls (in the next post).

No comments:

Post a Comment