Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Marking History

I worked SO late trying to get the last of these edits done, that it was actually EARLY by the time I went to bed. I set my alarm to get up for the festivities, but still ended up with my Mom shouting up the stairs: "Hey! You're missing history!"

I got down in time for Biden's oath, so I got to hear that AMAZING piece of music from Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Anthony McGill & Gabriela Montero all together. (Dear money-changers in the temple: I don't want to buy a tee-shirt or commemorative plate, but if you put that on iTunes, *that* is one piece of history I will be happy to shell out money for.)

The shots of the mall were amazing, and I sniffled all the way through everything. Amazing speech. So serious, so hopeful. Mom remembered coming to America during the civil rights movement, and how incredible this was. I was struck by how strong and hopeful but also sober and powerful the speech was. (And ballsy--he came very close to my favorite Ben Franklin quote: "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty, nor safety.')

Now the work begins. Some people in the crowd were saying "King's dream has come true" and even in the glow of this moment, I know we can never stop striving for that dream, every day, each one of us.

God bless America. We were founded on idealistic principles that are worth striving for. We're not perfect, we're flawed as hell, but for the first time in a long time, I feel that we're trying to be better, and live up to the things that make us great.

(I now return you to your regularly scheduled snark and cynicism.)

No comments:

Post a Comment