Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Natural Disasters

I hope my friends in South Texas are staying high and dry right now. It's a little surreal watching the news, because that's what we lived with while on the coast. Hurricane Season is serious business. It always has been, though of course the rest of the country treats it more seriously since 05.

I'm sure I've told y'all about the time we were hunkered down through Hurricane Claudette, right? It was supposed to hit south of us as a Category One, but it took a quick turn north and came ashore with winds gusting into the Cat 2 range. Took out all our trees, pulled off half my parent's roof and blasted out the windows of their back room (which we'd missed with the plywood). It took out all our trees, including a three story tall anaqua that had probably been there from Texas Republic days. (When it was lying on its side, the truck was as tall as Mr. RCM--about 6 feet.) That it didn't fall on the house was a miracle.

We were without power (or water, since the well pump was electric) for 10 days. This was while Mom was on crutches, recovering from the skin graft and reconstruction of her leg.

What's funny (sort of) was that it hit on the one year anniversary of Mom's breaking her leg in the first place. I was sitting on the couch, watching the weather channel, and I said, "It won't hit here. There is no way that God would top off this banner year (which had included 3 leg surgeries, a total of 5 weeks in various hospital stays, and one flooded river) with a hurricane."

That'll show me. If it happened in a book, I wouldn't have believed it.

I guess I tell that story every time there's a hurricane in Texas. But lets just say it was a really vivid memory. That cliche about the wind sounding like a freight train going by? Cliche for a reason. It's not just the sound, it's the way it vibrates the house. I spent the time in the closet with the dog, eating mint chocolate chip ice cream, because it was going to melt with the freezer off. I mean, if I died, the calories wouldn't matter. :-)

So, to everyone in South Texas and North Mexico, here's to you. Good luck today, and in the aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment