Friday, June 13, 2008

For those of you new to this blog, you should know that I have a nemesis that shows up outside my window every Friday afternoon from March to October.  

The Leaf Blower of Doom. 

The LBoD is the weekly harbinger of the swarm that will appear in the neighborhood all weekend, adding a constant undercurrent of noise and air pollution to all days of rest.  Truly these things were designed by the devil to infringe on the Sabbath. 

So, I'm reading this book called The Green Book, The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet, by Elizabeth Rogers and Thomas M. Kostigen.  What I really like about it is that it gives you very concrete, simple things you can do that, if the whole nation did them, would add up to tremendous savings in resources. 

And they're not hard things to do.  For instance: 

Take a shorter shower.  Every two minutes you cut short your shower can conserve more than ten gallons (!!) of water.  (I've started doing my soaping and showering with the water off. You get in, get wet, then wash everything, then turn the water back on to rinse.)

Unplug your stuff when you're not using it.  I had no idea that appliances (like printers, computers, cell phone chargers) still use electricity even when they're turned off. I'm the worst about leaving my chargers plugged into the wall 24/7. And I never turn my computer off, I just put it to sleep.  Bad Rose. 

Switch to recycled TP.  If every household replaced just one 12-roll pack of regular toilet paper with recycled kind, it would save almost 5 million trees (!!) and enough paper waste (the stuff that's left over after they make the TP) to fill 17 thousand garbage trucks.  (I've been buying recycled TP for about 4 years now. It's gotten better over time. It's still not Charmin, but it's not bad, and it's a small sacrifice for a big difference!)

And finally, to my neighbors with the Leaf Blower.  Pick up a damned broom.  I was shocked to find out that running a leaf blower for 30 minutes is the pollution output equivalent to running your car in your driveway for 3 hours.  Yikes!  It would take 10 minutes to sweep the average sidewalk, and most American suburbanites could darn well use the exercise. 

This post was brought to you by the letters L, B, and D.

No comments:

Post a Comment