Thursday, May 29, 2008

Unless you've been living under a rock lately, you know there's a tremendous buzz about Stephanie Meyer's "Twilight" series. I alluded to it in my guest blog on Tuesday when I said sparkly vampires are the new unicorn. There's even a "unauthorized guide" to the series, coming out from Teen Libris (actually, you'll already find it in some stores), and I was excited to get to participate.

From the Press Release:
In A New Dawn, 13 beloved and up-and-coming writers for teens, including Megan McCafferty, Robin Brande, Rachel Caine and Cassandra Clare, discuss the Twilight series in surprising, funny and insightful pieces that run the gamut from how the series is like a Shakespearean tragedy to whether it's easier (and safer!) to date a vampire or a werewolf.

Okay, so I didn't make it in the main body text of the PR, but I'm sometimes hobbled by the fact that my name is like twice as long as some people's. Also, I'm a newbie. But that thing about how the series is like a Shakespearean tragedy-- I think that's my essay, though the actual thesis (remember thesis paragraphs? Wasn't THAT fun to revisit for a semi-scholarly essay!) was that Bella Swan is a hero of the Classic Tragedy type--like Romeo (obvious), Antigone, and Ellen Ripley.* And then I compare the movie Liar Liar to Euripides and Aliens to King Lear. My nerd card will be either gold plated, or revoked.



Book Details
Title: A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
Authors: Ellen Hopkins, Robin Brande, Rachel Caine, Cassandra Clare, Rosemary Clement-Moore, Linda Gerber, Cara Lockwood, Megan McCafferty, K.A. Nuzum, James A. Owen, Janette Rallison, Ellen Steiber, Anne Ursu, Susan Vaught
Publisher: Teen Libris (developed for Borders, Inc., by BenBella Books)
Publication: June 2008, $14.99, Trade paperback, ISBN-13: 9780979233159
200 pages, 6 x 9

Available exclusively at Borders bookstores.

And if you're a fan of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series, there's a Completely Unauthorized anthology of essays on that, too.

*Yes, I know, their characters are nothing alike, but their roles are similar if you view the stories as Classic Tragedy. Both are moved about by Fate. Of course, Ripley grabs Fate by the balls, and Bella... not so much. However, that's not the point of the essay, which you should by the book and read. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment